Wednesday, January 7, 2015

IWSG Wednesday: On the Brink

Since the IWSG moderators have asked us to introduce ourselves, here's a little about me: I grew up in Montana and Utah, and after a stint in Pennsylvania, I'm back in southern Utah with my family. I teach English at a local university (my specialization is nineteenth-century women's rhetoric, though I mostly teach composition), and in my spare time I write, read, dream, walk, and generally avoid housework. My husband and I have three kids, ranging from 2-9. I have a pretty good life!














I missed last month's post for a fairly good reason: I was in the middle of trying to decide which offer of representation to accept, and pretty much everything that wasn't agent or family or work related got shunted completely out of my head.

Now, standing at the edge of a new year, I'm both elated and terrified. I decided a long time ago I wanted to do traditional publishing, but one of the downsides is the sometimes lack of control over things. My agent currently has my revised MS and is putting together a submission list--sometime in the next week or so I should be on submission for the first time.

And I have no idea what will happen.

For someone like me, who's a planner and doesn't really like surprises, this kind of not-knowing can be horrifying. But I'm trying to see it less as walking blind and more as an adventure. Anything could happen.

Царський курган 007.jpg

Hopefully "anything" will be something good--a book contract at some point this year. But if not, I've got a shiny new MS that I'm excited about.

And really, I do this for the writing.

Here's to a New Year, new writing goals, and new successes (and profitable failures) for all of us!

13 comments:

  1. Cross my fingers for you, but I don't think you'll need it. What a very exciting event. Try to enjoy it if you can. :-)

    Here's my link if you'd like to drop by :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky you are to have an agent! That's wonderful. I hope all goes well. :)

    IWSG co-host

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosalyn, Happy New Year and best wishes to you. I'm a planner too but I don't care when life throws me a curve ball. it's merely a plot twist and I'll look for new and better open doors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's a great way of looking at things.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! Congratulations on representation! That's so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big things are coming your way, Rosalyn. Believe in your capacity to see your goal to the end. I look forward to celebrating your book deal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! You've been a tremendous help along the way. :)

      Delete
  6. It's ridiculously exciting and totally terrifying all at the same time, isn't it? But it sounds like you already know what to do while your book is on submission: Write another book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working on it! Thanks for the encouragement though. :)

      Delete
  7. That's a wonderful reason to miss posting. Congratulations on signing an agent and good luck on submission! It's a scary time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would miss posting too if I were you! Congratulations, especially on the finished mss. That is such an important goal to have reached, no matter what happens afterwards. On the other hand, GO Girl! That is awesome you have an agent! Good luck and can't wait to hear how it goes for you... Lisa @ http://www.celticadlx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete